Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe
I love to make these Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls in the Spring and Summer when produce are at its freshest and also at its cheapest.
These fresh spring rolls are the perfect “finger food” to serve up as appetizers for any party or just to bring with you for an easy lunch at the beach.
They are easy to make, easy to carry, and is usually a crowd favorite because you can easily swap out the meats to fit anyone’s palette when you roll these up individually.
Although they are healthy, they can be deceivingly filling which is perfect since I don’t want to fill up on a heavy meal in the warmer months.
Here is what you will need to make these delicious fresh spring rolls.
1 bowl of hot water (not boiling)
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1 tsp of minced garlic in olive oil
½ sliced onions
Vermicelli Rice Stick Noodles
Your Favorite Protein: Flash Boiled Shrimp, Pork, Chicken, Tofu, Beef
Directions for making the rice noodles:
- Tip: Soak the vermicelli rice noodle in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes before to soften it up without making it soggy.
- Follow the directions on the packaging of the vermicelli rice noodles & boil ½ pot of water (about 4 qts) to cook the vermicelli rice noodles.
- It will cook fast, usually less than 5 minutes.
- Using a ladle, set aside a bowl of hot water for wrapping the spring rolls.
- Drain and rinse with cold water then drizzle and toss with vegetable oil & set aside until you’re ready to prep & roll.
Directions for cooking the protein filling (shrimp, chicken, beef, tofu):
- Choose your protein and marinate it with salt, black pepper, & oil.
- Drizzle your pan with oil, add minced garlic & sliced onions.
- Then add your protein & cook thoroughly.
- Set it aside onto a plate to be added to your spring roll wrapping assembly line.
Directions for preparing the spring rolls: use 3 ceramic plates
- Now, take a sheet of rice paper out of the package and place it onto a ceramic plate #1.
- Pour hot water over top the rice paper to soften it up enough to where you can easily fold it. Be careful, it is sticky!
- Place the wet rice paper on plate #2 and follow the picture above to show you how to properly fold a spring roll.
- Once you’ve finished folding your spring roll, place it on plate #3, where you can serve it immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Optional Sauce (Hoisin Peanut): Mix together the following ingredients
1 tablespoon of Sesame oil
2 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce
1 oz. Crushed dry roasted peanuts
½ tsp. Red hot chilli paste or red pepper flakes (for some mild to medium heat, optional)