Sweet And Crunchy Apple Crisp Recipe
One of my favorite pastimes is to eat dessert for breakfast! 🙂
Not only is this economical because you’re eating dessert from last night, but what a great way to wake up each morning with a little celebration happening inside your mouth!
To make this type of a guilty pleasure breakfast just a bit healthier, I like to incorporate some sort of a fruit or a veggie (depending on whether or not it is sweet or savory) in my breakfasts or desserts.
This apple crisp recipe is a great way to do just that!
Try some for yourself and make it for breakfast or even as a healthier dessert option.
Check out the recipe below!
Ingredients for the Apple Filling:
- 6-8 medium-sized apples, We like Fuji or Braeburn apples. But if you prefer a more tart taste, you can also use Honeycrisp or even Granny Smith apples.
- ½ cup of white granulated sugar
- ½ cup of All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ cup of apple juice
Ingredients for the Crunchy Topping:
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 and ½ cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup of quick cooking oats
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- one stick of butter (½ cup)
- Set your oven to 375F degrees.
2. Spray a square pan (an 8”x8” or even a 9”x9” glass or metal pan) with oil spray.
3. Peel, core, and wash your apples, then slice them up then pour them into the pan.
4. Combine the salt, white sugar, the cinnamon, the nutmeg, and the ½ cup of all-purpose flour, mix it together well.
5. Pour it over your apples and coat them well.
6. Pour the apple juice over top your apples and set aside the pan.
7. Now combine the melted butter with the brown sugar, the oats, the 1 and ½ cup of all-purpose flour, the baking soda, and the baking powder.
8. Mix it up well with a spoon and then spread it evenly over top the apples.
9. Pop it in the oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- A handful or bunch of chopped walnuts or pecans
- caramel sauce
- vanilla ice cream
If you really want to throw caution to the wind and knock their socks off, feel free to drizzle your
apple crisp with caramel sauce, add the chopped nuts, and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice
cream, at your own discretion, of course! 😉
Let me know how it turned out.
Check out my other yummy yet frugal friendly recipes here too.