Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, “April showers brings May flowers,” before.
Since it’s been raining nonstop around here, nothing warms me up like a big bowl of hearty homemade chicken noodle soup.
It’s not a heavy meal but it is enough to fill you up with a side salad, oyster cracker, or even a loaf of french bread. Sounds like the perfect lunch on a cold and rainy day like today.
Make a big batch and freeze some for dinner on your busy days later. Or have it pre-made for when you or your family catches a cold.
Be ready and have this on hand right in your freezer.
- One rotisserie chicken (shredded and deboned)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One yellow onion (diced)
- One medium-sized carrot (sliced)
- One stalk of celery ( cut and small chunks)
- 1 tbsp chicken broth paste
- Fill a pot with about 4 quarts of water (fill an 8-quart pot ½ full)
- One teaspoon salt
- One teaspoon black pepper
- One teaspoon fennel seeds or a bay leaf
- If you are short on time, you can use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for this chicken noodle soup recipe, from your local grocery store.
- Or you’re daring, you can try your hand at my recipe for Easy Delicious Roast Chicken On A Rack.
Directions to cook egg noodles:
- Boil a pot of water and cook your egg noodles as directed by the packaging.
- After the egg noodles are cooked, drain it in a strainer, and add olive oil to it and mix it around.
- Set it aside to cool for now while we cook the soup.
Directions to cook soup:
- First, in large pot, drizzle in the olive oil and turn the heat on medium-high.
- Next add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth paste and fill your pot halfway with water.
- Add in the chicken bones to your pot of water and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and fennel seeds to taste, cook on low for another 10 minutes.
- Keep the shredded chicken separate from the soup until ready to serve.
- After the soup is finished cooking, place egg noodles in a soup bowl about ½ filled.
- Add the shredded chicken pieces on top, then ladle over it with the soup broth
- Optional: feel free to add a sprig of cilantro for an extra flair of something fancy, enjoy! 🙂